The new school was completed in April 1998 in time for the start of the Summer Term when the children marched from the old school to the new. The building was opened formally on 13th October, 1998 by the Rt. Hon. David Blunkett, Secretary of State for Education. The new road in which the school is situated was named Watkins Rise in memory of the school's founder.
In 1994 a proposal was made to rebuild the school on the Parkfield site which had been earmarked for a replacement Ladbrooke School since the 1960's. The proposal was deferred until 1995 when it was given approval. Construction of the new Ladbrooke School began in May 1997.
1930 - 1994
In 1930 a new school was opened behind the Infant's School and was called 'Potters Bar Senior Council School'. Miss Goodacre took the seniors of over 8 years to these new premises, whilst the infants of 5 to 8 years went to St. John's School in Southgate Road. In 1933 the High Street school became a Senior Mixed School for children over 11. Later when Parkfield School was built in The Walk, and opened in 1938, the High Street school was taken over by Juniors and Infants, and re-named Ladbrooke after the farm to the West of the High Street which had just disappeared under newly constructed housing. In 1954 Ladbrooke Juniors (7 to 11 years) went to Parkfield (the seniors having moved to the newly built Mount Grace School), and Ladbrooke became the Infants' School.
1861 - 1930
The Infants' School with a teacher's residence which later became Ladbrooke School was erected on land belonging to the Rev. H.G. Watkins at the sole cost of himself and Mrs. Watkins, from designs by Edwin Lingen Barker Esq., architect. The infants transferred from the National School to the building which still faces the High Street today, and which is now a Grade II listed building. Miss Harriet Cherrill was appointed headmistress on lst April, 1865, and held the post for 36 years. She was succeeded by the Misses Kate and Emma Haybittle on the 26th August, 1901, who were employed for £85 p.a. with the School House, including coals and gas.
1839 - 1861
The first National School to serve Potters Bar was erected on a site between St. Vincent's Way and Hill Rise, in 1839. George Byng, M.P., gave the land and helped defray the cost of the building. It admitted 41 boys and girls in October.