The development of the Early Years' Outdoor Area has long been an objective of the school and the installation by Cool Canvas came after many consultations with the Foundation Stage team to understand exactly what learning and play opportunities we want to provide for our children. The design is very natural with timber and planting providing the structure for various zoned areas. The open-ended flexible resources can be adapted and used in different ways, according to the needs and interests of individual children - now and in the future.
Research shows that outdoor learning makes a big contribution to raising standards in education. Evidence strongly indicates that time spent learning outdoors brings health benefits, not only through increased physical development, but by setting up patterns for an active, healthy lifestyle.
By providing high quality outdoor play opportunities, we will also:
- Support children who learn best through activity or movement;
- Provide safe opportunities for children to experience new challenges, assess risk and develop the skills to manage difficult situations;
- Support children's developing creativity and problem-solving skills;
- Provide rich opportunities for imagination, inventiveness and resourcefulness;
- Give children contact with the natural world and offer them unique experiences, such as direct contact with the weather and seasons.